【情報提供者：Institute of Education, National Research University】
The Institute of Education at National Research University – Higher School of Economics (Moscow), China Institute for Educational Finance Research and Graduate School of Education at Peking University invite earlier career researchers, institutional researchers, and doctoral students, to apply to the upcoming
V INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL ON HIGHER EDUCATION RESEARCH
The theme of the Summer School 2017 is
“HIGHER EDUCATION AND SOCIAL INEQUALITY”
June 10-16, 2017, St. Petersburg
For the 2017 Summer School in St.Petersburg, Russia, applicants with backgrounds in all relevant fields (sociology, economics, political science, education, public administration, management, psychology, etc.) are encouraged to apply.
The objective of the International Summer School is to provide unique learning opportunities by bringing together both young and senior researchers of higher education. This exchange of perspectives will advance our understanding of higher education and foster the integration of young researchers into an international professional community.
V International Summer School will focus on the inequalities in higher education as well as the problematisation of the role of higher education in reproducing social inequalities. Participation in higher education has been increasing rapidly over last decades, but social equity has not been achieved. Numerous studies around the world show persistent inequalities in access and participation in higher education shaped by social background. Gains in widening access, especially in systems with high participation rates, are undermined by the increasing stratification of higher education institutions and societies. These challenges call for re-thinking, conceptually and socio-politically, the role higher education has in a modern society.
Summer School faculty and participants will discuss such issues as:
– key conceptual approaches to the analysis of the relationships between higher education and social inequality (including regional, gender and other inequalities; its global dimension);
– the roles of the state, society and markets in shaping social inequalities and stratification of higher education systems;
– various national models for addressing inequalities in society and education;
– under which conditions higher education can make a difference in equalizing social opportunities;
– higher education’s contribution to social solidarity and social wellbeing.
Confirmed faculty of the Summer School includes distinguished international researchers and experts in higher education with different professional backgrounds:
Isak Froumin (Academic Advisor, Institute of Education, HSE)
Simon Marginson (Professor, Director of the Centre for Global Higher Education, Institute of Education, UCL)
Pedro Teixeira (Vice-Rector on Academic Affairs; Director, Research Centre on Higher Education Policy (CIPES) and Associate Professor, Faculty of Economics, University of Porto)
Jussi Välimaa (Professor, Finnish Institute for Educational Research, University of Jyvaskyla).
Po Yang (Associate Professor, Department of Economics of Education, Graduate School of Education).
The format of the Summer School includes seminars, discussions of participants’ research projects, master-classes on research methodology and writing articles for academic journals.
The working language of the summer school is English. Participants must have a strong command of spoken and written English.
Participation fee is 350 EUR for double accommodation and 450 EUR for single accommodation. It includes lodging for 6 nights, three meals daily, coffee breaks, welcome and farewell dinners, excursions. Travel to/from St. Petersburg should be covered by the participants.
Ten scholarships will be provided to cover participation fee for applicants selected on a competitive basis.
The deadline for applications is March 5, 2017. To apply you will need to submit online
- A summary of your current research project dealing with higher education (you will be expected to present this at the Summer School), including the objectives of the study, its theoretical/conceptual framework, methodology/design, and significance (in English, 500-1000 words). Please try to do your best while preparing this document as its quality will be one of the main selection criteria.
- A personal statement outlining and explaining your interest in the Summer School (in English, 300-500 words).
- Recent curriculum vitae detailing your education and work experience, publications, other professional activities.
The selection of Summer School participants will be made no later than March 31, 2015. Please consider that you might need to apply for Russian visa in order to come to St. Petersburg (check with a Russian consulate in your country).
The Organising Committee (HSE): Anna Smolentseva (Senior Researcher, Institute of Education, HSE); Nelly Pavlova (Manager, Institute of Education, HSE), Isak Froumin (Academic Advisor, Institute of Education, HSE), Alexander Sidorkin (Dean of the Graduate School, Institute of Education, HSE).
Questions could be addressed to Nelly Pavlova tel. +7 495-623-52-49, email@example.com.
Further information: https://ioe.hse.ru/en/announcements/200390287.html